Friday, November 20, 2009

Stop Talkin and Start Walkin!

Prayer proceeds power and puts a demand on provision. But after you ask then you need to act. You may need help just to get across town. Open your mouth and pray listen to what God has to say then get busy and obey. You can try to “commune” the couch all day (also known as sleep praying) but after a while you should get up and go do something. If you’re waiting for the limo service or a Fed Ex check you’ll probably just sit around and get fat while you ask God to make you skinny and rich. Why don’t you stop talking and start walking? That would help increase your metabolism and He said that he would prosper “the work of your hand” not “the cushion of your rear.” You’ve probably got plenty of cushion already, that may be why you’ve been praying and need to start walking. “But I only have two dollars that’s not even enough for a gallon of gas!” God can’t order your steps until you start stepping. He may lead you down the street and help you get an awesome deal on a great bike at yard sale (then you can make a sweet jump and hang out with Napoleon). You’ve been asking God to help you be healthy and while your neighbor has been praying and asking for a few more dollars. Yay! It’s a win/win situation and it looks like God’s right in the middle of it. God may lead you right down to the bus stop. We don’t have busses here in the boondocks but sometimes people are still riding horses or driving tractors in town. I knew a lady that believed that God wanted her in Delta, CO but she was waiting for God to “translate” her there. And while God can beam Scotty up and down or all around if He wants to usually just tells Scotty to go get in the car. Because you can pray and pray and pray but if you don’t obey you’re not going far. And she’s still waiting for God and God’s still waiting for her. Remember the Dr. Seuss story of the North and South going Zax. That picture is stuck in my head and face to face they went nowhere while life goes on without them. Prayer is face to face time with God and you need the face the face before the race. But then living with God is like rally racing and He gives you the directions as you go. It’s “real time” and if you’ve been talking a lot and hearing a little lately maybe you just need to get movin. Because if with God you’re a like a Zax then probably right now you’re stuck in your tracks.


Dr. Seuss

“One day, making tracks
In the prairie of Prax,
Came a North-Going Zax
And a South-Going Zax.

And it happened that both of them came to a place
Where they bumped. There they stood.
Foot to foot. Face to face.

"Look here, now!" the North-Going Zax said, "I say!
You are blocking my path. You are right in my way.
I'm a North-Going Zax and I always go north.
Get out of my way, now, and let me go forth!"

"Who's in whose way?" snapped the South-Going Zax.
"I always go south, making south-going tracks.
So you're in MY way! And I ask you to move
And let me go south in my south-going groove."

Then the North-Going Zax puffed his chest up with pride.
"I never," he said, "take a step to one side.
And I'll prove to you that I won't change my ways
If I have to keep standing here fifty-nine days!"

"And I'll prove to YOU," yelled the South-Going Zax,
"That I can stand here in the prairie of Prax
For fifty-nine years! For I live by a rule
That I learned as a boy back in South-Going School.
Never budge! That's my rule. Never budge in the least!
Not an inch to the west! Not an inch to the east!
I'll stay here, not budging! I can and I will
If it makes you and me and the whole world stand still!"

Well...
Of course the world didn't stand still. The world grew.
In a couple of years, the new highway came through
And they built it right over those two stubborn Zax
And left them there, standing un-budge in their tracks.”



PIE90 Scripture:

1 Cor 9:24
24 Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it.
NKJV

1 Cor 9:24
You've all been to the stadium and seen the athletes race. Everyone runs; one wins. Run to win.
MES