Thursday, July 15, 2010

What, Instructions?

I’m putting together this playhouse for some friends and it came in hundreds of pieces. Josh and I have been working on it in our spare time for the last five days and enjoying it enough except the hard part, which is that we actually have to follow the instructions. There are so many different kinds and sizes of boards and fasteners that you have to read and do each step exactly, otherwise everything won’t work out and especially in the end. We’re currently on step 85 and have 18 more to go.

This made me think about our steps of faith. I know the Bible says, “The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord” but I hadn’t considered that there’s detailed instructions for every step. I’m more inclined to “wing it” and improvise and hope everything turns out all right. The problem is that when you skip steps or do the wrong thing in the wrong place at the wrong time you end up with a mess and have to go back and correct it. It would be better to wait and study until you understand the direction than to just go ahead. You can’t skip steps because every step has a purpose and contributes to God’s desired end. That’s why it’s so important to pray and obey everyday. Because even though God orders our steps we still have to follow the instructions.


Ps 37:23
23 The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord,
And He delights in his way.
NKJV

Ps 32:8-9
8 I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go;
I will guide you with My eye.
9 Do not be like the horse or like the mule,
Which have no understanding,
Which must be harnessed with bit and bridle,
Else they will not come near you.
NKJV

Isa 48:17-18
17 Thus says the Lord, your Redeemer,
The Holy One of Israel:
"I am the Lord your God,
Who teaches you to profit,
Who leads you by the way you should go.
18 Oh, that you had heeded My commandments!
Then your peace would have been like a river,
And your righteousness like the waves of the sea.
NKJV

Isa 1:19-20
9 If you are willing and obedient,
You shall eat the good of the land;
20 But if you refuse and rebel,
You shall be devoured by the sword";
For the mouth of the Lord has spoken.
NKJV