Friday, November 5, 2010

He Helps the Humble

“God helps those who help themselves” is true in the sense that if you don’t put forth any effort then there’s nothing for Him to help. The Holy Spirit is your Helper and when you follow Him He empowers your effort. But it’s on the condition of your submission. He won’t just help you do whatever you want to, but He will help you do His will. Why would he help you do something that’s not His will? And when you think that you can help yourself without Him you abide in pride and start to slide. “For, God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.” He resists those who resist Him, and if God is against you then who can be for you? But if will humble yourself and ask for help then He will help, especially when you can’t help yourself. God helps those who can’t help themselves when they humble themselves and pray and obey. Without Him you can do nothing of eternal value; but with Him all things are possible! “Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time.” For, God helps those who humble themselves.

1 Peter 5:5-11
5 Likewise you younger people, submit yourselves to your elders. Yes, all of you be submissive to one another, and be clothed with humility, for

"God resists the proud,
But gives grace to the humble."

6 Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time, 7 casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you.

8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour. 9 Resist him, steadfast in the faith, knowing that the same sufferings are experienced by your brotherhood in the world. 10 But may the God of all grace, who called us to His eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after you have suffered a while, perfect, establish, strengthen, and settle you. 11 To Him be the glory and the dominion forever and ever. Amen.
NKJV

James 4:5-8
5 Or do you think that the Scripture says in vain, "The Spirit who dwells in us yearns jealously"?

6 But He gives more grace. Therefore He says:

"God resists the proud,
But gives grace to the humble."

Humility Cures Worldliness

7 Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.
NKJV

Prov 3:34
34 Surely He scorns the scornful,
But gives grace to the humble.
NKJV

2 Cor 12:7-10
7 And lest I should be exalted above measure by the abundance of the revelations, a thorn in the flesh was given to me, a messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I be exalted above measure. 8 Concerning this thing I pleaded with the Lord three times that it might depart from me. 9 And He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness." Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ's sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
NKJV

2 Tim 4:17-18
17 But the Lord stood with me and strengthened me, so that the message might be preached fully through me, and that all the Gentiles might hear. Also I was delivered out of the mouth of the lion. 18 And the Lord will deliver me from every evil work and preserve me for His heavenly kingdom. To Him be glory forever and ever. Amen!
NKJV

John 15:1-8
15 "I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser. 2 Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit He takes away; and every branch that bears fruit He prunes, that it may bear more fruit. 3 You are already clean because of the word which I have spoken to you. 4 Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me.

5 "I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing. 6 If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered; and they gather them and throw them into the fire, and they are burned. 7 If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you. 8 By this My Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit; so you will be My disciples.
NKJV

Matt 19:26
26 But Jesus looked at them and said to them, "With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
NKJV

Mark 9:23
23 Jesus said to him, "If you can believe, all things are possible to him who believes."
NKJV

John 8:31-32
31 Then Jesus said to those Jews who believed Him, "If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed. 32 And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."
NKJV

Phil 4:13-14
13 for I can do everything God asks me to with the help of Christ who gives me the strength and power.
TLB