Thursday, December 9, 2010

Will or Fail

It’s time to get ready for resolutions. At this time of year most people are preoccupied with extra Christmas activities and the potential stress of the season. Then by the time the New Year comes they are tired and not ready to start the next year running. Most people fail at their resolutions simply because they are not really resolute.

It takes time to become brave and to develop determination. If you’re not mentally prepared to persevere then you won’t win. It will take courage and consistency to complete the challenge. You must develop the discipline on the inside before it will make a difference on the outside. Merely wishing and wanting to change is not enough. It’s like wanting to run a marathon, you may have the desire, but you don’t just wake up one day and go do it. You have to exercise in advance because challenges become trials when you fail to train. If true victory is to be attained you will first have to train your brain. “Where there’s a will there’s a way.” But if the will is frail you will fail. Will power is only as potent as a person’s persistence. You can’t excel without endurance. And endurance isn’t developed in a day, but is established over the duration. So decide what you will do, and then be diligent to exercise your mind everyday until your endurance is established. Then when you’re really ready to be resolute, it’s time to run. And not only run but continue to run, and all the way until the year is done. Anyone can start a race running with a will to win, but only those who have prepared and persevere will overcome.

1 Cor 9:24-27
24 Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it. 25 And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an imperishable crown. 26 Therefore I run thus: not with uncertainty. Thus I fight: not as one who beats the air. 27 But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified.
NKJV

1 Cor 9:24-27
24 You've all been to the stadium and seen the athletes race. Everyone runs; one wins. Run to win. 25 All good athletes train hard. They do it for a gold medal that tarnishes and fades. You're after one that's gold eternally.

26 I don't know about you, but I'm running hard for the finish line. I'm giving it everything I've got. No sloppy living for me! 27 I'm staying alert and in top condition. I'm not going to get caught napping, telling everyone else all about it and then missing out myself.
MES

2 Tim 4:7-8
7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
NKJV

Phil 4:13
3 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
NKJV