Monday, January 10, 2011

TRUST

Learn a hard lesson or learn the lesson the hard way. Trust none but One! True trust is “total reliance upon” and we can’t completely rely on anything or anyone but One. Trust is synonymous with faith and we should not have faith in man, money or machine. Our trust is in God and in Him alone. If you’ve ever trusted in anything else, including yourself then you’ve already been disappointed.

Naturally, I like to trust people and consider myself trustworthy. But God seems to be showing me that to truly trust all my faith must be in Him and none else. That He wants the totality of my trust. The when I completely trust Him with myself I can also trust Him with others. It’s hard for me to learn not to trust people, but I can trust the God who works in them. And only to the degree that He works in them I can rely on them.

TRUST is total reliance upon the Savior and His Truth.

It seems to me the Bible actually teaches us not to trust in people or things. Trust in self, others or anything else is a form of idolatry. But there is only one Savior. And if I’ve become attached to my idol, even though it doesn’t answer, then it’s hard to destroy it. But to have true trust, destroy false trust I must.

This is a hard lesson for me that I’ve also learned the hard way. And the people that are most attached to their idols / security blankets scream the loudest when you try to take them away. But I think it’s time to give up the “Binkie” don’t you?

So my next question is, if I can’t trust in man then what do I do with them? How do I deal with people and their fallible flesh? I think the answer is mercy and forgiveness. And if I’m not expecting them to be perfect, then I won’t be so disappointed when they’re inevitably not. And it seems wrong to not trust in people, but I think it’s actually right and sets me free to love them unconditionally. Should I love the people more, that I supposedly trust more? This is not God’s way. So I’ve decided to trust none but One. Because God didn’t tell me to trust people but He did tell me to love them.

Isa 45:20-21
20 "Assemble yourselves and come;
Draw near together,
You who have escaped from the nations.
They have no knowledge,
Who carry the wood of their carved image,
And pray to a god that cannot save.
21 Tell and bring forth your case;
Yes, let them take counsel together.
Who has declared this from ancient time?
Who has told it from that time?
Have not I, the Lord?
And there is no other God besides Me,
A just God and a Savior;
There is none besides Me.
NKJV

Matt 19:17
17 So He said to him, "Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God.
NKJV

2 Cor 1:8-11
9 Yes, we had the sentence of death in ourselves, that we should not trust in ourselves but in God who raises the dead, 10 who delivered us from so great a death, and does deliver us; in whom we trust that He will still deliver us,
NKJV

Jer 17:5-6
5 Thus says the Lord:

"Cursed is the man who trusts in man
And makes flesh his strength,
Whose heart departs from the Lord.
6 For he shall be like a shrub in the desert,
And shall not see when good comes,
But shall inhabit the parched places in the wilderness,
In a salt land which is not inhabited.

7 "Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord,
And whose hope is the Lord.
8 For he shall be like a tree planted by the waters,
Which spreads out its roots by the river,
And will not fear when heat comes;
But its leaf will be green,
And will not be anxious in the year of drought,
Nor will cease from yielding fruit.
NKJV

John 2:24-25
24 But Jesus did not commit Himself to them, because He knew all men,
NKJV

John 2:24
24 But Jesus would not entrust himself to them, for he knew all men
NIV

John 2:24
24-25 But Jesus didn't trust them, for he knew mankind to the core. No one needed to tell him how changeable human nature is!
TLB

John 2:24
2 But Jesus [for His part] did not trust Himself to them, because He knew all [men];
AMP

Ps 118:8-9
8 It is better to trust in the Lord
Than to put confidence in man.
9 It is better to trust in the Lord
Than to put confidence in princes.
NKJV

Ps 20:6-7
6 Now I know that the Lord saves His anointed;
He will answer him from His holy heaven
With the saving strength of His right hand.

7 Some trust in chariots, and some in horses;
But we will remember the name of the Lord our God.
NKJV

Ps 91:2
2 I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress;
My God, in Him I will trust."
NKJV

Ps 62:5-8

5 My soul, wait silently for God alone,
For my expectation is from Him.
6 He only is my rock and my salvation;
He is my defense;
I shall not be moved.
7 In God is my salvation and my glory;
The rock of my strength,
And my refuge, is in God.

8 Trust in Him at all times, you people;
Pour out your heart before Him;
God is a refuge for us.
Selah
NKJV

Prov 3:5-6
Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
And lean not on your own understanding;
6 In all your ways acknowledge Him,
And He shall direct your paths.
NKJV

Isa 26:3-4
3 You will keep him in perfect peace,
Whose mind is stayed on You,
Because he trusts in You.
4 Trust in the Lord forever,
For in Yah, the Lord, is everlasting strength.
NKJV

Mark 12:29-31
29 Jesus answered him, "The first of all the commandments is: 'Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one. 30 And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.' This is the first commandment. 31 And the second, like it, is this: 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no other commandment greater than these."
NKJV