Monday, September 28, 2009

Movers, Shakers and Heart Breakers

As a Pastor I want to tell you what it feels like when a member decides to leave the church. It would be just like one of your children coming to you and saying that they have decided to “join” another family. Or just disappears and leaves you wondering “why” or “where” only to find out later that they moved in with the neighbors. It’s very challenging for the congregation and especially the younger ones if they don’t understand why their brothers and sisters wanted to go “live with someone else.” I’m not saying that people shouldn’t change if the Lord leads them to do so but it’s not something that should be done lightly. So consider this if you have a church family that loves you. It’s always easier to run away then work out your problems at home but if you don’t fix them you’ll take them with you wherever you go. It’s one thing for your children to move out because it’s time to move on and that’s O.K. because you’re still part of the family. But it’s not right to do it if you’re mad and offended and especially because you’ve been disciplined. My toddler or teen might not like the way my house is run but that does not mean that I just let them run away because they are “not happy.” I’m not saying this in regard to a specific situation if I want to speak to someone directly I will so don’t read anything more into this then you read in it. However a situation has reminded me of all the trauma people go through when a part of their body cuts itself off. It’s not easy for anyone and if that part does not get re-attached somewhere soon they will die spiritually. That’s how it is when someone leaves and goes “nowhere” it’s like losing a loved one. They may say the “Lord is their Shepherd” but He still keeps His sheep in flocks. It will be O.K. life goes on but that does not mean that it does not hurt. So I say that everyone should pray and definitely get God’s direction before “cutting” the body of Christ! There’s no excuse or respect for “floaters” or “church hoppers” because they just want love without commitment. So pray and find you family and get in it! There will be problems, personality conflicts and sibling rivalry - if there are more than two people but the love of the family unit is greater than that and holds everything together. And it’s true that I may be happier “living with the neighbors” but which family do I really belong to. Please don’t send me some debate saying, “Well we’re the body of Christ so it doesn’t matter where we go to church, or if we go to church at all!” But the Bible says, “But now God has set the members, each one of them, in the body just as He pleased.” (I Cor 12:18) - As “He pleased,” not as we pleased. Can you rebel against His will? Uh, apparently or there would be no sin. So anyway all I’m saying is unless you pray and KNOW its God’s will then you outta stay, because you really don’t want to be a mover a shaker and a heart breaker.