Monday, January 11, 2010

Perfect Pace Perfect Peace!

What do I do with symptoms of OCD and ADD? Sometimes I find myself trying to do multiple things at once and do them all perfectly. Of course they don’t all get done and inevitably pure perfection is elusive. If I’m not careful I get frustrated and stressed because it’s taking “too long” to do everything right and I’m not meeting my own self imposed expectations. Things either aren’t perfect or I don’t get enough done in a day so I start to feel driven with a belly full of disappointment. When I put to much on my schedule its like eating too much before exercise it actually hinders the progress but the most annoying thing is just not feeling good. I hate those driven days where no matter how much you do or how fast you go it there is no peace because you perpetually feel like your behind. And nobody wants to be a behind. Making your own test too hard and feeling like a failure is a trap.

So the Lord seems to be saying to me, “Don’t be driven!” Be motivated, proactive and purposeful and live in the moment. While you’re “getting everything done” don’t be so stressed about the future that you forget to live and have fun. Don’t be so distracted thinking about all the things that you have to do, that you don’t really do what you’re presently doing with excellence and enjoyment. It’s the enemy that drives and distracts but I lead and guide. Ignore him and pay attention to Me. When you acknowledge Me in the midst of any situation I give you perfect peace and when you have peace you will be more productive. So don’t be like a rabbit with OCD and ADD but simply follow Me and be free from self imposed condemnation and compulsion.

“WE” that is “God and me” will get everything done today that we need to get done and “everything else” will just have to wait its turn. I will not be rushed by the things on my list like a bunch of little impatient children pushing in line. And the ones that scream the loudest may just have to wait the longest. I won’t freak out and follow fear because I already have a Leader. I take authority over my life and all this “stuff” can just sit down and shut up! I will put things in the order the Lord leads me to and live my life knowing that I’m walking in His perfect will. I will not run so fast that I wear myself out and end up haggard and disappointed unable to finish or get distracted and go so slow that I end up a behind. But I determine to live in sync with God and find the perfect pace to may run my race with joy and enjoy every step!

Isa 26:3
3 You will keep him in perfect peace,
Whose mind is stayed on You,
Because he trusts in You.
NKJV

1 Cor 9:24
24 Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it.
NKJV

Heb 12:1-2
12 Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, 2 looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.
NKJV

Col 1:10-13
…strengthened with all might, according to His glorious power, for all patience and longsuffering with joy.